Monday 13 September 2010

Are you a Lone Reader?

I came across this BBC article a couple of days ago and it got me thinking about reading. Back in the days of yore, folks used to gather around campfires and entertain each other by telling stories but the advent of the industrial revolution and capitalism boiled this love of stories down into the individualised package that we know and love today: the novel. Ostensibly, this made reading an individual endeavour - if you've ever tried to co-read a book in a short-resourced English Lit class in high school, you will know why - but the social aspect out of sharing our stories is still very much there.

Reflecting on my own reading practices, I realised that while yes, much of what I read, I read alone I would KILL for someone to read a book to me. Or pay for it through the Audiobooks section of iTunes. As a kid my father read all sorts of classics to us, including all three books of Lord of the Rings. For a bloke who worked a 10 hour day that's some achievement. Hearing the story in your own voice in your own head is great but hearing it from someone else can add dimensions to it that you might not have thought of, like how Gollum sounds when he coughs or the pure terror of the Black Riders.

Perhaps my love of reading aloud also comes in part for my penchant for the sound of language. The beauty of a well-written sentence can't be underestimated. It's when it is spoken that words are most alive - light bounces off them and illuminates dark corners of previously unexplored ideas. I really could wax lyrical here about this but I'll spare you more details. Safe to say I'm a major language geek and prefer to hear poetry rather than read it.

My third and final point proving that I'm totally a social reader: book club. Nothing and I mean nothing gets me more animated than talking about books. When I have a mug of coffee in my hand, a slice of cake on my plate and several good friends all in the same place talking about the same book, I'm pretty well in heaven. In fact, if heaven does not have a good library and book clubs, I really don't fancy going there. Also the fact that I write on here about books proves that I'm a social reader. I want to put my thoughts out there and see what other people think too. Blogging is, in a way, a huge book club meeting online.

So yet again, I'm keen to know what you think. Are you a Lone Reader or a Social Bookerfly?

7 comments:

  1. HI, interesting post. I love to share books with people. Started out reading to my kids but I continued to do so long after they could read and we love to chat about books as we go, often also listening to tapes together in the car. I also read books with my ex hubby. I still read books with my youngest daughter (now16) taking it in turn to read chapters aloud. I guess reading is mostly solitary because it's hard to find people who want to read exactly what you do at the same time.
    thanks for sharing
    martine

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI, interesting post. I love to share books with people. Started out reading to my kids but I continued to do so long after they could read and we love to chat about books as we go, often also listening to tapes together in the car. I also read books with my ex hubby. I still read books with my youngest daughter (now16) taking it in turn to read chapters aloud. I guess reading is mostly solitary because it's hard to find people who want to read exactly what you do at the same time.
    thanks for sharing
    martine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Martine!

    Thanks! When I have kids I plan to read to them for as long as they will let me. Into teenaged years if possible ;) You make a great point about finding it hard to find people who want to share the same book at the same time with you. That certainly plays into why reading is so solitary.

    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the reason so many of us blog is that reading is such a solitary thing. I do miss reading to my kids--I loved it as much as they did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa - I totally agree. Book blogging is a way to make social a very solitary pursuit.

    Your kids were very lucky to have you read aloud to them. It was one of the best things about my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kath, this is something I have thought about since Mum decided I was too old to be read to. For her, I guess reading to me was something she thought of as a stand-in for my own reading until my ability matched my interest. But since watching and reading the Jane Austen books where everyone is always reading to each other for entertainment, I have thought how cool it must be to read to someone and be read to. But, until I find someone to read to, I will be a solitary reader. I think bookclubs are a kind of midway point - reading is solo, but there is a dialogue involved. But I am far too slow at reading to ever be a participating member of a book club. So I content myself with blogs and reviews! (PS: your blog is very cool!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Zora :)

    Thanks for the comment! I have taken to reading aloud to hubby and a girl I tutor in English to fill the gap until kids arrive. It's quite a magical thing, watching someone get lost in a story that you're reading. It's like going on a magical journey together. I know you'll find someone awesome to read to - they'll be very lucky when you do x

    ReplyDelete