Sunday 24 January 2010

When something a bit fun becomes AWESOME!

Not so long ago, I wrote a short post about the World's Smallest Library in Westbury-Sub-Mendip in Somerset, awarding these good folks my inaugural Most Awesome Village award. I didn't think much would come of this post but then I got a comment from a local of this very village who lived within yards of the library in question. How fun is that? Here I am in Taiwan, tapping away on my laptop about this place and I get a reply all the way from South England!

Anyway, given that I heard about this place on the forums on the Bookcrossing website, I asked Andrew (the cool local) if he knew about Bookcrossing and if so, could I send a couple of books over from Taiwan to put in the library. He kindly agreed and I posted off a couple of books from my bookshelf for someone else to read and enjoy.

I casually mentioned this on the bookcrossing forum where this had all started and was suddenly overrun with messages from people who also wanted to send books to this library - bookcrossers from the USA, Scotland, Cornwall, the Netherlands and Canada - it seems that this whole idea had captured the hearts and minds of bookcrossers internationally and they wanted to be a part of it. Now Andrew is a fully signed up member of bookcrossing and receiving books from all over the place - goodness knows if it gets to be too much more of a phenomenon they may need to locate and convert a second phonebox!

Photo credit: Bob Dolby

I love this kind of thing: blogging and Bookcrossing bringing people and books together no matter where you are. It makes life more interesting and the global community just a touch smaller and more connected. Three cheers for Westbury-Sub-Mendip and for Bookcrossing!

Links:
My postcard on the village website

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! That's fantastic; it really is a small world now, what with the internet!

    I have an award for you:
    http://litandlife.blogspot.com/2010/01/playing-catch-up-again-with-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the phone booth library. I'm in England this June, maybe I'll see if I can visit it! Thanks for the BookCrossing link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! What an amazing tale. Wow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Lisa: I know it's pretty cool huh?! Thanks for the award! :D

    @Helen: If you do, that'd be fantastic! Are you into bookcrossing? It's such a lot of fun and a neat way to connect with people all over the world.

    @Shannon: Thanks for your comment :) It's cool to know it's not just me that finds it amazing!

    ReplyDelete